G20 Defendant Revokes Guilty Plea for Cop Car Arson

Posted: March 16, 2011 in Counter-Surveillance, National Security State, Toronto G20 Defense
Tags: , , , ,

FYI: “Mr. Catenacci was arrested in August, six weeks after the summit. Toronto police had launched a drive to identify perpetrators of the violence, and facial-recognition technology matched to closed-circuit photos at a bank machine led to his arrest.”
Man revokes guilty plea at sentencing for G20 car-burning
TIMOTHY APPLEBY
Toronto— Globe and Mail Update, Wednesday, Mar. 16, 2011
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/man-revokes-guilty-plea-at-sentencing-for-g20-car-burning/article1944392/
The sentencing hearing for a 41-year-old carpenter from Windsor convicted last month of torching a police cruiser during the June Group of 20 summit was aborted Wednesday when he abruptly told the court he was firing his lawyer and withdrawing his guilty plea.
“I never wanted to plead guilty, she convinced me to,” Nicodemo Catenacci said, referring to defence counsel Erin Dann.

Mr. Catenacci had been the first person to be convicted in the torching of the two cruisers, abandoned by police in circumstances that have never been clear.
Madam Justice Fern Weinper put the matter over to April 11, when a date for a preliminary hearing will likely be set.
Mr, Catenacci pleaded guilty last month to charges of arson and failing to comply with probation, but subsequently complained in a newspaper interview he felt he had been made a scapegoat.
Those remarks were cited Wednesday by prosecutor Elizabeth Nadeau, who said they suggested his remorse was insincere.
The defence and prosecution were instructed to confer, following which Mr. Catenacci announced his decision to hire a new lawyer.
“We’re going to play hardball now,” he shouted at the investigating police officers as he strode away from the courtroom with a media posse in pursuit.
He has a criminal record stretching back more than 10 years, chiefly involving theft and disregard of court orders.
Prosecution and defence had agreed he was not part of the opposition to the June summit as such, but rather happened upon the chaos on Queen Street West and decided to add to it by setting fire to a cruiser already badly damaged.
He had been visiting Toronto seeking work at the time, and was recovering from an overnight cocaine binge in a seedy downtown hotel, court was told last month when he pleaded guilty.
Mr. Catenacci was arrested in August, six weeks after the summit. Toronto police had launched a drive to identify perpetrators of the violence, and facial-recognition technology matched to closed-circuit photos at a bank machine led to his arrest.
He spent nine days in custody but had been free on bail, living with his elderly parents in Windsor, until Wednesday.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Now that it’s well past April 11, it’d be nice to see an update. Doesn’t seem to be anything in the papers, though… I hadn’t even heard about this (that he’d withdrawn the guilty plea) until I stumbled across your blog just now.

    It’s worth repeating that he was not an activist or protester, and was not one of the 1105 people denied food, water and legal counsel in the Eastern Avenue Detention Centre — that 1105 did not include anyone who’d torched a police car.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s